Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Terror warnings, Adoption news & some facts

Let me start with recent news.  There was a recent US Embassy warning that stated there is an imminent threat of terror expected in Mombasa, Kenya.  On Sunday there was an explosion at an outdoor bar near Mombasa and 3 people were killed and around 50 injured.  Please keep these people and their families in your thoughts. 
Mombasa is on the coast,  the Indian Ocean coast.  Nairobi is inland, in south central Kenya and about a 6-8 hour drive from Mombasa. 
We are about 30-40 minutes outside of Nairobi, in a very safe area. We are registered with the US Embassy. We get any warnings, we have a neighborhood person that will make sure we get the warnings as well. I have friends at the Embassy here that let me know of any warnings. 
We feel very blessed and very safe,  but we are careful and watchful all the same. 


I have not posted any adoption news because there is no news right now. We are waiting for the July NAC (National Adoption Committee) meeting, our documents need to be submitted by July 5th by our agency here, we are in touch with them and are hoping everything they need to include with our documents is complete prior to July 5th.  Then we will need lots of prayers that we are approved once again by the NAC in July,  but I will let you know that date when I know when it is ..... which I should find out soon :) 


Lets see ....  a few things you may not know or expect about (Nairobi) Kenya.


we are at 1°18'S 36°45'E .... but it's still cool here. 
Nairobi, Kenya - altitude 1,661 metres (5,449 ft), which is higher than Denver, Colorado,  the "Mile High City" which is elevation 5,280 feet.  


July is the coldest month and February is the hottest month.


Being a former British Colony the cars are right-hand drive and we drive on the left side of the road ..... I'm still getting used to driving here. 


(Ki)Swahili and English are widely spoken here.


Nairobi has about 3.5 million people, it's East Africa's largest city.


the currency is the Kenyan Shilling, it's about 80-85 KSH (or KES) to $1 US


We have a store that is walking distance to us ... about a 20 minute walk depending on how fast my walking partners (my 2 boys) walk. The shop is called Nakumatt, it's a fairly large chain, it is like Wal-Mart in the USA ... with groceries and other household and necessary items,  but not as much selection and NOT cheap.  A big box of Kellogg's cereal costs over $10 US! 


Kenyans do NOT like cheese,  now this may seem like a large generalization,  but every Kenyan I have asked If they like cheese and they make a face like I said rat poison.  My friend even told me snakes, chameleons and cheese she dislikes most! 
Now I tried cheese here, because I LOVE cheese ..... now I know why Kenyans do not like cheese ..... ACK!  It's not so good here ..... 


There are speed bumps everywhere.  Even on the highways, if you are lucky they are marked with lines or a sign to let you know they are there.  If you aren't so lucky ..... BAM! there's a speed bump.  On our mile trip to the Nakumatt there are 3 speed bumps. 


So the cost of living is more expensive than in the US.  Food, cars and housing ... all the more necessary things are more expensive then at home for the most part or at least similar cost.  
As we are looking for activities for the children we have found that these special things can be inexpensive. 
Waterpark, not as fancy as Great America,  but still looks to be great fun for the boys with at least 6 water slides and swimming pools and a lazy river .... open every day 10 am - 6 pm. Weekdays it's about $3 US and weekends about $5 US.  We haven't been yet as the weather is cool this time of year. 
IMAX 3D movie, boys want to see Madagascar 3, if we see one of the first 2 daily shows it's about $5 US. 
Horseriding, Gymnastics, Soccer, Music lessons ... a lot of  the things we would do at home are available to do here as well. 


Please comment .. I love to hear from all of you as well please :) 


Blessings from our family to yours. 


Tracy







7 comments:

  1. Well then... I guess I better get fit before I arrive - we are at 1700 ft!!
    Also - I better start to learn how to make cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol climbing our staircase when I first moved here: I had to stop at the top and catch my breath!! Every time!! Now I run up them with no probs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy,

    Glad you and the family are doingso well. I am so excitedfor you and your family as you go on this great adventure. I love reading about whatyour days are like...I am getting ready to start classes back up, lasttwo to finishfor my bachelors. Yay. Yesterday, I signed on with a modeling agent so that will be interesting..lol Still notsure if I want todo this since I hate caeras...lol Eicis wanting to possible g t Taiwan. Idolina recently relocated to Michigan for grad school and Oshi amd Alexis are holewith us of oure. We are still toying with the idea of the ukranian adotion, We want to go over there maybe in two years and visit an orhanage and see first hand and then make a decision. We wish you thebest Stay safe..Love you,

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, I also seem to recall going to movies at the movie theaters inside Nakumatt (junction and the one on ngong road). They had this "Mzuri Movie Monday Madness" thing where you could get the movie, popcorn, a hot dog, a drink, and a candy for like $7US. I thought that was pretty great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tracy! I wish there were more news! :) But I'm glad that no news is good news. Thanks for the cultural stats. That's always fun.

    Praying for you guys!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tracy!

    I'm so glad to hear that everything is going smoothly. I hope everything is moving forward with the adoption paperwork as well. Please tell the boys I miss them and I can't wait to babysit for all 4 Herring children very soon!

    Jami :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracy!

    I'm so glad to hear that everything is going smoothly. I hope everything is moving forward with the adoption paperwork as well. Please tell the boys I miss them and I can't wait to babysit for all 4 Herring children very soon!

    Jami :)

    ReplyDelete